Accessing models and BIM project data in the field has been a high priority for our construction customers for some time now, and requested more times than I can remember. Around 10 months ago I was asked to product manage a team to build an app that could handle large BIM datasets - to say I was thrilled (and honored) is an understatement, as although I've worked on Navisworks for many years, this was the first product I'd be the lead for. No pressure.
The opportunity here was not only to make BIM project data available to construction professionals whilst they're on the go, but to make these models accessible to a wider [new] audience, including those on-site, who may have never seen a model let alone used a desktop BIM app like Revit or Navisworks. So with this in mind, we set some clear design goals of what the first release of the App needed to achieve, including:
- Quick and easy access to [large] models
- Easy-to-use navigation, using the richness of touch-screen interaction
- Quick and easy access to BIM object data
- Useable both online and offline
We were also keen for the App to be easy to learn, so we wanted to use gestures that are common in other standard Apps, such as two-finger pinch and drag to zoom and pan which you'd do with the iPad Photos App, for example. We wanted navigation to be appropriate for BIM, such as keeping the camera upright as you orbit around, and being able to walk; whilst also being compelling to use, like playing a game, something that you'd want to keep using and learn to master.
Well, the wait is over. It's my pleasure to announce the launch of the Autodesk BIM 360 Glue mobile app for iPad!
Here are the key features of this first release:
Easy access to up-to-date, multi-discipline BIM 360 Glue projects
- "One-click to BIM" access from email notifications to a precise model view
- Navigate through saved views and access object properties
- Secure authenticated, anywhere access to BIM 360 Glue projects
Intuitive exploration of multi-discipline BIM projects in the field
- Navigate using intuitive gesture-based pan, zoom and orbit, optimized for BIM
- Walk through the model with gravity-assisted navigation
- View project model details with immersive, gyroscope-enabled look around
Integrate with your BIM ecosystem
- Coordinate over 50 design file formats in BIM 360 Glue for mobile access
- Publish Navisworks models to BIM 360 Glue for access in the field
- Access large project models and data - online or offline
Take a look at this short video:
Here are a few useful links to find out more, and importantly, where to get the app:
- View the App in the iTunes AppStore
- Learn about the Autodesk BIM 360 platform
- Mobile Access for BIM 360 Glue WikiHelp
- Haven't got an Autodesk ID yet? Create an Autodesk ID, it's free!
Now I recognize this is just the start, and I hope you do too. We already have a huge backlog of enhancements, and I expect you're going to be crying out for more features - and believe me we want to give them to you, but as I'm sure you'll appreciate these can take time to research, design, develop, test and validate - so as the saying goes, "the proof of the pudding is in the eating", and it feels like it's time to get the App into your hands and gather feedback as we plan for future releases. So here's what I'd like you to do:
- Install Autodesk BIM 360 Glue from iTunes
- If you are an existing BIM 360 Glue user, sign-in and try the app out with your own models
- If you're not yet a Glue user, sign-in using your Autodesk ID and try the app with the four sample models
- Provide us with feedback. You can either leave a comment here, or contact us via email, email@example.com
- If you like what you see, please leave a 5 star rating on the AppStore J