In an earlier post I wrote about the introduction of 2D support in Navisworks 2012. In this release 2D views and sheets are supported through the DWF format. These can be individual DWF files, or a multi-sheet DWF file – a single DWF containing multiple sheets, sections, plans and elevations.
I also mentioned the ability to cross-reference items in the 2D sheets with the corresponding items in an NWC model. Håkan Norberg requested further information on this, so I've created this quick video tutorial:
The key steps are:
- Export your Revit project model to NWC
- Export the corresponding 2D views and sheets to DWF
- Load the NWC in Navisworks
- Use the Navisworks Project Browser to Load the DWF file(s)
- Right click on any item in a 2D sheet or in the model, then select Find Item in Other Sheets and Models
- Click on any of the results to view the item in the selected model/sheet
Remember, if you see the exclamation mark icon at the bottom of this window…
…then you're only seeing partial results. To search All sheets and models, click the Prepare All button:
How does it work? It's based on the Revit GUID, a unique internal identifier for each item in the project. For each item, the GUID is the same in the DWF file…
…and in the NWC:
Navisworks searches for this GUID in all prepared sheets and models and provides you with the relevant results.
As a reference tool this is great, as you can navigate through the model whilst reviewing the project, and then for any object you can view it in another representation, such as a sheet or section with additional information.
Thanks for the feedback Håkan, be sure to let us know how you get on!