This week the UK Government has mandated BIM Level 2 for all centrally procured projects where it makes sense. Many sense this as a watershed moment for BIM, no longer is it a 'buzzword' or industry terminology, it's now a standard part of how projects will be delivered. BIM Level 2 is a set of standardised processes to implement BIM from Design through to Construction and Facilities Management, from a practical point of view native models are now required alongside 2D information (in PDF format) as well as the information for the project in a COBie format.
COBie or Construction Operations Building Information Exchange to give its full title, is a structured format to send data from a project to the operations phase. Typically this data is sent in an Excel format, SQL database, or as part of an IFC. We have had a tool to allow you to export a COBie spreadsheet from Revit for a while and you may remember a blog last year talking about how to add BIM 360 Field data to your Revit COBie export using Dynamo. We realised however that lots of projects use tools other than Revit for parts of their workflow, including AutoCAD based tools like Fabrication CADMEP, or infrastructure tool AutoCAD Civil 3D, or non-Autodesk based tools like Tekla Structure, or ArchiCAD. For that reason we have developed a COBie Extension for Navisworks which is freely available below. Navisworks loads over 50 different file formats
We've had this in beta for the last few months with great reviews from customers, we're excited to see what you think!
"Finally lets us automatically produce COBie for all disciplines and not just Revit projects" Mike Turpin - Capita
"This is a great free tool from Autodesk that will allow Skanska to provide federated and model specific COBie data drops to clients and FM teams." Gary Scott - Skanska
- Adding additional data to files that have already been COBie enabled in Revit using the Revit COBie exporter from www.biminteroperabilitytools.com
- Add mappings from any data available within a file loaded into Navisworks to any COBie parameter, allowing you to map standard fields to COBie parameters
- Add multiple mappings to a particular field, the exporter will look through to find any matching attributes
- Configure different drops so you only export specific tabs or fields in the tabs and only display that information in the drop.
- Sort values and Filter values
- Select items in the COBie data pane and they are selected within the model for easy viewing (Revit, IFC and AutoCAD supported)
- Export selected data for completion by a third party, this can then be amended to the existing COBie information
What do you think? Is it missing a vital piece of functionality? Or do you just want to give us positive feedback? Let us know on Navisworks-COBie@autodesk.com